In a letter dated 29 May 2020, the Provincial of the former Maryland Province of the Society of Jesus announced his decision to close the Jesuit Center for Spiritual Growth, effective August 2021. You may read the Provincial’s letter, accompanying FAQs, and Br. Derby’s letter of response here.
While we are sorrowful at the decision, we are focused on the remaining time of ministry here in Wernersville. The Jesuit Center will continue to offer retreats and other programs for spiritual renewal, and to host groups, through August 2021. You can see our 2020-2021 program calendar here.
Dear Friends of the Jesuit Center,
It is the season of Thanksgiving, a time for us to be especially attentive to the signs of God’s abiding presence and love in our lives. Here at the Jesuit Center, we have so much for which to be grateful: Everyone here in the Jesuit Community and on our staff remains healthy and active. Our building and grounds have never been lovelier. In the midst of the pandemic, we have been able to continue our ministry of retreat-giving, spiritual accompaniment, and in-house hospitality.
We are currently welcoming a limited number of in-person retreatants for our silent directed retreats as well as private retreat times. Retreatants are screened for health reasons and must follow our safety protocols. We have added additional directed retreats to accommodate retreatants beyond the limited number of places available. We are also making available the option to participate virtually in directed retreats via Zoom. You will find information about the protocols, retreat availability, and online participation for directed retreats here.
• We are accepting reservations for all JCSG retreats and programs through August 2021. You may register for these on our website. Questions? Please contact our Registrar, Melinda Leonowitz, at email@example.com or 610-670-3642.
• We are welcoming some hosted groups (subject to size limitations and safety protocols). To inquire about bringing your group to the Jesuit Center, please contact our Coordinator of Hosted Groups, Alisha Forcinio, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-670-3668.
Pay for Your Retreat >
Yours in Christ,
Br. Christopher Derby, SJ
• We are hosting private retreatants at designated times. For inquiries about making retreat privately at the Jesuit Center, please contact the Assistant to the Registrar, Andrew Dotter, at email@example.com or 610-670-3655.
• At this time the Jesuit Center is open for day visitors only to limited numbers of screened, ongoing directees. Masses at the Jesuit Center therefore remain closed to the public.
• While the public may not access the building, people may walk the grounds with permission. If you would like to walk on our property, please contact our Facilities Director, Fr. Tom Kuller, SJ, at 610-670-3601 for permission.
May the Spirit of God continue to enliven all of us through the coming year, focusing and intensifying our gratitude for the wonderful gift of this “house of bread” and the men and women who have served and continue to serve here. St. Ignatius Loyola—pray for us.